Monday, April 1, 2013

Self Publishing

I have chosen to self publish my first novel.  In fact, I didn't even bother to look for an agent.  First, let me be  honest and admit that in a perfect world, HarperCollins or Random House would have been fighting for my attention.  However, I tend to be a realist and I recognized that wasn't going to happen.  But that's okay-the internet has opened doors that were previously shut.  Companies like Create Space and Lightning Source offer options, that until a few years ago, didn't exist.

I considered submitting my manuscript to a small or medium sized publisher.  After attending a writers' conference, I realized that if one picked me up, I'd have to make the commitment to market the book. If I have to market my book (and I understand that small and mid-size publishers don't have large budgets to market every book), then I decided I wanted control of my story.

I tried to do my homework.  I searched the internet looking for the pros and cons of self publishing.  I spoke to writers who had published traditionally and those who chose the independent route.  It just seemed like self publishing was a better choice for me - so, I met with my accountant, followed his advice, and Stone Bay Press was born.

I have decided to use Create Space for their printing services.  I felt they offered a quality product at an affordable price.  I'm still working through the process.  My edits have been completed.  I'm going over my manuscript for the final time before I give it to a proof reader. (Can you say stressed?)   My cover is in the process of being designed and I'm really pleased with how it looks so far.  All in all, the process of publishing my novel has been a learning experience.

I realize that in a sea of self published books, I will have to work hard to get noticed.  I'm under no illusion that I'm the next big thing but I believe in my story and I believe that sometimes you just have to take the chance to reach for your dreams.  For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to write a story I could share with the world.  It is my hope that those who read Of Dreams and Shadow enjoy it.  

The journey continues and I will update on my progress.  Until then, I am looking forward to the day when the completed novel is in my hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment