Monday, September 9, 2013

Review of UnEnchanted: An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, Volume 1

On occasion, I troll Amazon's Free Kindle e-book section.  Typically, I take the story for a quick test drive - you know - using the Look Inside function.  I check out  the reviews and let me just say up front, I don't pay a lot of attention to the bad reviews, because honestly, I think there are mean people out there that like to find fault. (I will concede that there are novels that probably deserve poor ratings.)  I also don't pay too much attention to the five star reviews - especially, when the reviewer can't seem to string more than a couple words together.   All this brings me to the purpose of this post:   

I recently downloaded UnEnchanted:  An Unfortunate Fairy Tale, Volume 1
by:  Chandra Hahn
                                                   
                                          
                                                                                 
The Synopsis:


Mina Grime is unlucky, unpopular and uncoordinated; that is until she saves her crush's life on a field trip, changing her High School status from loser to hero overnight. But with her new found fame brings misfortune in the form of an old family curse come to light. For Mina is a descendant from the Brothers Grimm and has inherited all of their unfinished fairy tale business which includes trying to outwit a powerful Story from making her its' next fairy-tale victim. To break the fairy tale curse on her family and make these deadly occurrences stop, Mina must finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

FYI:

This is a self published novel.  There are some grammatical errors that the author acknowledges per her website.  

What I thought:

I'm one of those people who can get caught up in a good story.  If that happens, chances are my mind will not pay too much attention to a misplaced comma or an occasional grammatical error.  I register it and I move on.  That being said,  I enjoyed the author's writing style.  Her characters were well developed and she did a good job weaving in the back-story.  She took the same fairy tales i heard as a child and gave them a fresh twist.  In regards to Mina, the main character - Hahn created a character with which the reader can identify.  I found her moments of fear, happiness and heartbreak believable. I was disappointed when the story was over  and can't wait to read the sequel.  In short, I was totally enchanted! 

My rating:  

 


st finish the tales until the very Grimm end.

No comments:

Post a Comment