Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What Makes A Story Memorable?

What makes a story memorable?  Is it the skill of the writer or is it the subject matter?  There are many variables but I think a great story is produced when the author is able to tap into the well of emotion.  For many of us, that well is a scary place.  We skim the surface without delving into its dark depths.  I think there's a reason for that -  it's in the depths that our most painful memories reside.  It's not hard to recall happy times and to apply those feelings to our writing.  But when it comes to a story that involves loss or sadness, some writers do it better than others.   They find it in themselves to explore their pain, humiliation, etc. and then they use those feelings to drive the scene.  That ability doesn't come easy for everyone. There are memories/feelings that I don't necessarily want to revisit.  But how do I write something believable if I can't go there?  It doesn't matter that the scene I'm working on differs from my personal experience.  It's the emotion that I am trying to convey.  My writing instructor was famous for saying - "Give me more!  It may only be a line or two - but show me the feeling!"  

So, what makes a story memorable for you?


                             .


.


No comments:

Post a Comment