Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Self Publishing - My Journey Continues

I thought it was time for an update on my self-publishing journey.  As you may know, I chose to use Create Space.   Being this was my first novel, I didn't want to leave anything to chance. (Editor-check.  Readers-check.)  My biggest fear (besides no one liking my story) was having someone purchase my novel and then see boo-coos of formatting errors.  I just wanted the assurance that I had done everything I could to make my novel as perfect as possible.  So while I could have formatted my novel, I choose to purchase CS's formatting service.   What I didn't expect was the l-o-n-g wait between each step of the process.  Silly me - I failed to consider how many other writers are using their services.  My friend and and mentor, Carol Ann Ross, formatted her book, uploaded and after a few changes  *BAM* her novel was in her hands.  I submitted my manuscript at the beginning of April...It is now mid June.  I have received my first formatted copy (digital) and have found errors such as:  wordswithoutspaces.

It's a bit frustrating...especially when I know what I submitted.  I look at the time - festivals are happening all around my area - tourists are vacationing - students are on summer break - and I am waiting for the publishing process to be completed.  I've been trying to do all the right things.  I blog. I post on Facebook.  I try to connect with fellow writers and the all important readers.  And I have no idea of when I will be able to announce an official release date.

So what about you?  Have you had a similar experience and/or did you choose another company? What was your experience?   Anything you can share will be greatly appreciated.

-DS McKnight

I

No comments:

Post a Comment