Sunday, August 18, 2013

A visit to Beaufort and Morehead City, NC

I call myself a Weekend Tourist.  After being locked up in an office all week, when it comes to Saturdays, I make my escape.  Living on the coast of North Carolina has its advantages - one of those advantages is being close to so many cool places.  If you're visiting Coastal North Carolina, you've got to have lunch at Morehead City's El's Drive In.  As you can see, it's a tiny place but has plenty of parking shaded by large oak trees.  They have a variety of burgers but it's the Super Burger that you've got to try.  I forgo the onions but the chili and slaw are to die for... Yum!


El's Drive-In
Morehead City, NC

After lunch, you could visit the NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. However, if you aren't in the mood for crowds, then take a short drive to Beaufort, NC and visit the NC Maritime Museum. Honestly, it's not going to take a long time to tour the facility but it is child friendly and quite enjoyable.  

 14'5" Cosine Wherry
NC Maritime Museum-Beaufort, NC

Perhaps one of the best things about Beaufort is the waterfront.  There are plenty of shops if you are into that but I prefer strolling along and enjoying the view.  It's just relaxing and I can hear Otis Redding singing in my head - I'm just a sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the tides roll away...

Beaufort, NC - Waterfront

                                                                  .....sitting on the dock of the bay - wasting time....  

Beaufort, NC - Waterfront

And I can't think of a better place to waste a little time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment